Alternatives

After attending some tutorials regarding the MPP people suggested that if anything else fails when it comes to gaining access and photographing people during live performances, I need to think of a plan B. The best and most effective seemed to be that I ask people to come to the studio at Uni, get them to watch a film or a concert/recorded performance and then photograph them whilst they view the video. I did not reject the idea but I was not very keen on it either. The reason is simple: by doing that, I would go against the principles I have based my idea upon. That of photographing people when they are unaware of the camera. The moment I get people in the studio and ask them to help me with the project, the magic is lost. The models would know what I intend to do and might not allow themselves to become 100% absorbed as they would do when being unaware that their photo is being taken. I go back to Roland Barthe's words from Camera Lucida:

"It can happen that I am observed without knowing it, and again I cannot speak of this experience, since I have determined to be guided by the consciousness of my feelings. But very often (too often, to my taste) I have been photographed and knew it. Now, once I feel myself observed by the lens, everything changes: I constitute myself in the process of ‘posing’, I instantaneously make another body for myself, I transform myself in advance into an image. 

I do not want the people I photograph to pose for me. Not when it comes to this project. 
The solution I have come up with in order to solve this matter is the following: I shall attend smaller performances, which do not require permission when it comes to entering the venue with a camera. 
Another option would be to look for concerts which do not restrict people from taking DSLR's to the artist's performance. I have come across two concerts, which shall take place in Bucharest, Romania on 29th and 31st March 2013. These two events would allow me the chance to photograph the audience and complete my Major Practical Project.    

No comments:

Post a Comment