Initial project ideas.


The environmental portraiture assignment received in year 2 has triggered my interest in concert and live performance photography. During the summer I have continued exploring and experimenting with this type of imagery, when attending festivals and concerts. I can see myself being a concert or press photographer in the future so my aim is to build a strong portfolio of work.

As a result, I wanted to base my major practical project on this theme. After attending a series of tutorials and discussing my ideas I got to the conclusion that submitting portraits of musicians for this project might not be the best option due to the fact that my images couldn't be too different from the ones taken by other photographers in the photo pit. 

In order to create a strong and personalized series of work, I had to focus on other aspects such as perhaps the audience attending this type of shows or maybe even the space before and after the event. During concerts I tried to photograph the audience but the results were not the ones I was expecting. Reduced amounts of light required longer exposures and due to the nature of the event, movement ruined my entire concept. 

One aspect I found quite interesting was the technical part of the stage performance. Each artist requires people known as sound technicians to make sure their live sound is perfect, and make the necessary adjustments when needed.  I began photographing them during the concerts I attended and then booked another tutorial to show some of the images I obtained.

The feedback received, indicated that I should keep searching for ideas related to stage photography and focus on the idea of people watching a show without showing the actual event.   
After doing some research I decided that my project would based on Absorption & Theatricality instead of live performances. 

I am glad that I managed to finally establish my final theme for the MPP.
Until now, I felt a bit stressed about this matter but now I am more confident and look forward to shooting the images.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment