Movement in photography

Two people were arguing about a flag flapping in the wind. "It's the wind that’s moving," stated the first one. "No, it’s the flag that’s moving," contended the second. A Zen master, who happened to be walking by, overheard the debate and interrupted them. "Neither the flag nor the wind is moving. It is MIND that moves." 

With slower shutter speeds, a moving subject appears blurry. The more blur, the greater the perceived movement. In real life the eye naturally registers fast moving objects as blurry, but because we’re all accustomed to looking at photographs, we accept the blur of a person casually walking as an indication of movement, even though in real life we’d see the scene in perfect focus. Blur is photo-speak for “motion.” 

- source:  http://truecenterpublishing.com/photopsy/movement.htm

In the self portrait I wanted to indicate that my mind is moving, by tilt-shifting the screen placed in front of my face. The Zen quote matches my idea because one might say that the screen in the photograph is moving or that I am moving. The answer I would provide would be that the mind itself is moving. At the same time, I could be referring to the viewer's mind or my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment