Objects as symbols

Q1: what makes me apathetic? Waiting for time to pass when I have to get somewhere or when I have to meet someone and there is a set period of time when I cannot do anything but wait for time to go by. I am neither worried about waiting, nor anxious.
I associate waiting with a clock, therefore that is what I took a picture of. I decided to use a bigger clock which is mounted on the wall because it matches my idea in a better way and is more symbolic that a wrist watch. Another object I though of using was an hour glass but couldn't obtain one unfortunately.

Q2: what makes me anxious? The future, because it is full of uncertainties. I also believe that I am the write of my own novel and that I only write using ink, therefore erasing the mistakes I did and the wrong decisions I made is impossible.
Three elements represent the future, from my point of view. A bottle of ink and a writing feather, which I use to write my own story of life and the mask I wear day after day. My firm belief is that we all wear a mask beacuse we wish to be perceived by other in a certain way. When we're along we tend to act differently and reveal our true nature.

Q3: what makes me flow? Photography because when I have the camera in front of my eye there is nothing else I focus on. My entire motivation is directed towards this activity and that is why I become unresponsive to any other factors or activities happening around me.
The photographic camera is the element which induces me the feeling of being absorbed and focusing on drawing with light. The Polaroid in the image was my very first camera. It is also made in the UK and holds an increased sentimental value. I found the Cmena in an antiques fair and bought it even if it is not functional any more.

Q4: what makes me worry? Thinking I know a person, trusting him/her and afterwards realizing that the person has been wearing a mask the entire time and that his true personality is nothing like the facade displayed in the first place. Judging by the masks used, the photo also symbolises the fear of death, worrying that we're running out of time.
As opposed to the mask used in the anxiety image, which is mysterious, these two masks used in the case of worry tend to be slightly more macabre.

The one with the long beak is most commonly known as the Medico della Peste (The plague Doctor).
It is one of the most bizarre and recognisable of the Venetian masks. The striking design has a macabre history, originating from 17th-century French physician Charles de Lorme, who adopted the mask together with other sanitary precautions while treating plague victims. The mask can be perceived as a memento mori (symbolic reminder of the inevitability of death).

The other mask is painted by myself in my 1st year as a photography undergraduate, as part of a visual research assignment. The mask was originally white and I used black and red in order to paint it. Black most likely symbolizes death and red is the color I usualy associate with blood.

Q5: what makes you bored? In all honesty, football makes me bored because I am not interested in this sport. The moment I begin to watch a football game my mind takes of and wonders in an entirely different place. Whenever I come into contact with this activity, I tend to express a complete lack of interest and can hardly focus on what is going on in the pitch.
What's the best symbol for this sport? That's right, a football.

Q6: what makes me aroused? Japanese lilies, because of their mesmerizing scent and their appearance. They provide both visual and olfactory stimuli to which my mind responds in a positive manner. They are by far my favorite type of flower. On the other hand, some people cannot stand the perfume they produce and therefore, avoid lilies. The flowers were probably the trickiest to photograph. Unlike the other objects which were shot on the desk with ease, in this case I had to climb on the desk and photograph the flowers which were placed on the floor.
I just have to post a behind the scenes image:




Q7: what makes me feel in control? Being informed and having the necessary knowledge to express myself properly. That can be achieved by studying and gaining knowledge. When it comes to learning, I am a visual learned and that is why I use highlighters and different colored post it notes when studying. These factors help me retain the information successfully.
I used elements which reflect exactly that. Highlighters and post-it notes help me keep things organized and under control. Spelling control using the letters C T R L reminded me of the control button on the latop keyboard, so I thought I'd write it on the post-it note blocks.  

Q8: what makes me relaxed? This is probably the easiest to answer. Music makes me relaxed because of the properties it has. When one listens to the music he/she likes the substances released in the brain help him relax. Listening to our favorite type of music has the same effect with eating our favorite dish. The reason I photographed a vinyl record intead of an actual CD is that I wanted to represent music in a more traditional method. Vinyl records tend to sound better that cd's due to the material they are made of which provides them with longer durabily and quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment