Statement of intent

Hodie Sum is a relfection upon the states of mind experienced by human beings.
The mental states represented in this series of images is as follows: apathy, anxiety, flow, worry, boredom, arousal, control and relaxation.

My aproach towards this theme is subjective due to the fact that I have interpreted these states from my own perspective. In the part of the diptych, I aimed to obtain a portrait of my mind, rather than a portrait of the self. The object which replaces my face stands for the screen on which emotions and psychological states are projected.
The objects depicted in the second part of each diptych aim to show what triggers that certain mental state in my case.

The body of work beggins with two 8 piece collages which reflect the states of mind and the symbols, as I perceive them. It then unfolds by means of the 8 diptychs which follow the structure of a dialogue, formed of a question and an answer. For example: What makes me relaxed? Music makes me relaxed. Following this particular structure, the images reveal my mind, bit by bit. When observed closely and analyzed in detail, the viewer is able to read my mind as an open book. All the symbols are there and it is just a matter of reading between the images.


No comments:

Post a Comment